Clarion UK is proud to help Donna excel in her UEL Masters Degree

Clarion UK is proud to help Donna excel in her UEL Masters Degree

“The communication barrier is one of the biggest challenges I faced as a deaf person, and it can make or break my course progression,”… Donna did not just overcome such challenges – she was one of the top three students in her group.”

We were delighted to read about Donna’s success in her Masters Degree at the University of East London and the positive influence working with our Student Support Professionals has had on her studies. Donna Morris Davidson, 50, is a mature student who graduated with a First in Health Promotion & Public Health. During her undergraduate she had support from one Interpreter. Now, thanks to UEL’s Disability & Dyslexia service, she has three.

We are very proud that Donna chose us, Clarion UK, to organise and provide the Specialist Support needed to assist her with her studies and put her on a level playing field with her peers. Donna is receiving regular support from two BSL Interpreters and one Specialist Electronic Note-taker for the Deaf.

The full article, written by Lee Pinkerton and posted on the UEL website, can be read here.

“My studies over the past four years have proved that your disability should not prevent you from studying with the right support. The availability of the Disabled Student Allowance means that it is possible to study and achieve your goals.”

If you are in education or hoping to enter and would like to apply for specialist support and DSAs (Disabled Student Allowance), here are a few details…

DSAs can help with the costs of:

  • specialist equipment, for example a computer if you need one because of your disability
  • non-medical helpers
  • extra travel because of your disability
  • other disability-related costs of studying

You may be eligible if you live in England and have a disability that affects your ability to study, such as a:

  • learning difficulty, for example dyslexia, dyspraxia or ADHD
  • mental health condition like anxiety or depression
  • physical disability, for example if you’re partially sighted or have to use crutches
  • long-term health condition such as cancer, chronic heart disease or HIV

You must also:

  • be an undergraduate or postgraduate student (including Open University or distance learning)
  • qualify for student finance from Student Finance England
  • be studying on a course that lasts at least a year

You can find more information on how to get assessed on the website, here. 

Once you have been assessed, if you are eligible you can find more details on how we can provide the support you need on our website.

By |2018-10-02T08:35:16+00:00March 19th, 2018|Education, Student Services, Student Support|3 Comments


  1. […] You can apply for DSAs if you’re studying in England and you have a learning difficulty, mental health condition, physical disability or even a long-term health condition. For more information on how to apply, visit: or read a breakdown on our blog post here: […]

  2. […] Or read a breakdown on our blog post here: […]

  3. […] Todays User Suggested Website:From time to time our members recommend websites of interest to them. Please visit: […]

Tell us your thoughts